Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence

Blog for the novel, "Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence," which is about a few years in the life of a musician and his personal and spiritual changes. The novel can be read at www.portraitofaseekerofessence.name. Please feel free to post comments on a chapter by chapter basis, before you've finished reading the entire novel. Please use reasonable language. Thanks - Russell Kolish, Author - Click on the lowest thread title on the left and ten additional titles will come up.

Monday

T24 - Self Examination - C 7

What makes us tick? Mostly I examine my inner workings through the structures of psychology but there are other systems which can be used according to your needs and your spiritual values. Astrology has its uses, too. Any system of thought can be used for reflection and/or comparison of the workings of your mind and feelings with some kind of standardized values or mental mechanics. Even religions have their uses if one doesn't take them too seriously.

The best way for me was to first learn to define what I was feeling - put correct labels on all my feelings and emotions. Once I was able to bring some order to all those seemingly random occurrences I was able to see patterns, recognize situations or events which would precipitate similar feelings. Soon enough I felt more comfortable with myself, less frightened. Over a few years everything else fell slowly into place.

I also had to study some philosophy and logic in order to build my own mental structures, my own scaffolding on which I could erect my newly forming self. Believe it or not Algebra helped enormously! The study of the abstracts of relating symbols trained my mind to be able think logically and also be able to accept radically (or so I thought at the time) new ideas which were at first utterly foreign to me. Eventually I came to enjoy this facet of mathematics and bring it to bear in other areas of my life, among them introspection. It trained my memory until I could relate thought after thought going forwards or backwards and thus I was able to build intellectual structures and the capability to understand almost anything.

I consider my life a success story having come from confusion and loneliness to confidence, thoughtfulness, compassion and willingness to hear opinions other than my own. In this sense my life is a pleasure.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul from Sacramento

Examining myself I find that what makes me up are repetitive themes: of behaviors and feelings under similar circumstances and also of thoughts about people and events. I tend to repeat myself. Through self awareness I observe my repetitions and when they occur enough times I say this is who I am. After I learned to disregard other peoples’ expectations I now base my own expectations and anticipations of myself on this. Oddly enough after observing a large number of repetitions I have come to understand how limited I really am. It amazes me.

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art from Boston

As far as memory training and creating the ability to move backwards and forwards within multiple intellectual structures (concepts), chess was the activity that did it for me. In the book, Gableplunk experiences similar emotional and intellectual
construction through the game. I relate very strongly to him and see parts of my own life in his. Very nicely done.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ

The unexamined life passes quickly.

It’s only through self-examination that one saves time.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home