Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence

Blog for the novel, "Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence," which is about a few years in the life of a musician and his personal and spiritual changes. The novel can be read at www.portraitofaseekerofessence.name. Please feel free to post comments on a chapter by chapter basis, before you've finished reading the entire novel. Please use reasonable language. Thanks - Russell Kolish, Author - Click on the lowest thread title on the left and ten additional titles will come up.

Tuesday

T14 - Heros And Heroines - C 4

I've had a number of people I admired throughout my life. People who stood for something like an idea or a movement or were just able to accomplish things that I couldn't do myself. My tenth grade teacher, a sports figure here and there, a monumental thinker like Einstein.Even if I couldn't understand what they did I COULD understand that what they did was amazing and affected the lives of all of us. Even now I have a hero or two creeping around in my mind, giving me a boost when I think of them.Some people just amaze me!

I guess that the character Max is a bit of a hero figure in the book. Like all heros he has a few character flaws but these defects don't detract from his accomplishments. Maybe some of Max's accomplishments are also dubious. That is, he can cause pain in those who are unprepared. Life is like that. A series of lessons, sometimes painful, at the hands of what? Other people? God? Nature? Our own selves? Do we empathize with tragic characters because we see our own contradictions in them or do we merely feel sympathy or compassion?

I see a little of the heroic in everybody at different times.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malcolm from Vancouver

I LOVE tragic characters! In the context of whatever art I’m experiencing, reading or watching a play or looking at a painting OR watching one of my friends doing something impossibly stupid, the ‘tragic flaws’ are amazing to behold! The reason I LOVE these characters is because they make me feel grateful that I’m not them. I mean, I’ve probably done quite a few ridiculously dumb things in my life and I’ll bet that someone was watching and thinking the same of me. I don’t mind. If my own actions occasionally help someone else to feel grateful then I’ve been redeemed and served a good purpose for a moment or two.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home