Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence

Blog for the novel, "Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence," which is about a few years in the life of a musician and his personal and spiritual changes. The novel can be read at www.portraitofaseekerofessence.name. Please feel free to post comments on a chapter by chapter basis, before you've finished reading the entire novel. Please use reasonable language. Thanks - Russell Kolish, Author - Click on the lowest thread title on the left and ten additional titles will come up.

Tuesday

T2 - Sensitivity - C 1

Intense descriptions of sensitivity and compassion in chapter one.

Sensitive: subject to excitation by or responsive to stimuli; having power of feeling; of such a nature as to be easily affected. Certainly Gableplunk is such a person. I read a book once although, unfortunately, I forget its name other wise I’d mention it, that made a case for twenty percent of people being sensitive, twenty percent being semi-sensitive and sixty percent of people being insensitive. I found this hard to believe however afterwards I began to observe people more closely and after a couple of years came to agree - approximately. Strikes me as sad. Just one more reason that
the world has always been in bad shape.

I’m tired of all the people who have no respect, who are
insensitive or desensitized and sometimes just plain
stupid. I know people get ground up by life and
occasionally blow up or treat other people badly. This
isn’t the type of behavior I’m talking about. What I’m
talking about are the hard core people, the ones who
are quite capable of stomping all over other people the
majority of the time. The people who are capable of
behaviors and making decisions that cause other
people to suffer and their own children and
grandchildren to degenerate health wise because they
have poisoned the environment physically, spiritually
and psychologically. I used to feel sorry for those
people but now I just ignore them. Have I become
desensitized, too? Have you?

I guess we can’t live with constantly bleeding hearts
because it’s too debilitating. Some solutions might be
part-time, time share sensitivity or giving to charity
(charity begins at home) but it’s tricky business.
Where do you draw the line between sensitivity and
shutting down? How do YOU handle this?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fran from Brisbane

I either blabber and cry or shut down completely, both behaviors usually inappropriate for the context I’m in. It’s difficult to keep a good perspective, a balance between not letting my sensitivities overwhelm me or going in the other direction out of surprise, shock or fear and shutting down. I'm working on it.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ariel from Richmond

There are CEOs who do exactly that (poison the environment physically, spiritually and/or psychologically). I can’t ignore them. They’re screwing up the future lives of my children. I WANT them to be discovered and prosecuted. And I don’t mean just the swindlers who line their own pockets but also the ones who are so guided by profit for their corporations that they do ANYTHING to fulfil their perceived needs of their shareholders. And if it’s the preferred stockholders who are driving this behavior, then I want them to reconsider their financial needs in a new and more socially considerate light. It’s difficult for me to imagine myself in their places, making decisions or creating driving pressures in favor of actions that harm the futures of their own children. When you think about it, it’s suicidal. Are these people so depressed or so hateful of themselves (and everyone else) that they’re subconsciously willing to make suicidal decisions?

And thanks for your book. I enjoyed it very much. There's a lot of food for thought there.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home