Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence

Blog for the novel, "Portrait Of A Seeker Of Essence," which is about a few years in the life of a musician and his personal and spiritual changes. The novel can be read at www.portraitofaseekerofessence.name. Please feel free to post comments on a chapter by chapter basis, before you've finished reading the entire novel. Please use reasonable language. Thanks - Russell Kolish, Author - Click on the lowest thread title on the left and ten additional titles will come up.

Tuesday

T6 - Change - C 2

Over the years I made changes in my life with the help of shrinks and some friends whose opinions I trusted. My shrinks would ask me questions like, "How does that make you feel?" and "What did you want to do about that?" As superficial as these questions seemed, they actually helped me focus on my feelings and motivations and made my feelings more clear to me. My friends had more personal biases but they were concerned enough about me (as I was about them) to listen to me and offer suggestions based on their own attitudes and biases which I understood and saw through to get to a kernal of something positive I could use in my own life. These awarenesses of each other made for intense conversations. Over beers of course.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nakatani from Osaka

Because we are endlessly shifting, changing, we can not truly understand ourselves or
people around us. Psychology helps but it is far from clear and borders as much on
art as on science. Religions are moot and individuals’ spirits are eternally seeking,
sometimes finding and then seeking again. There are many meanings in life.
Beneath every meaning is a delusion or a false premise. Briefly, history is false,
philosophy is false and science deals with only a sliver of life and is always changing.
How can we truly know who we are when everything is always changing? We can
become aware of our delusions but change is a constant surprise. It seems logical
that change must be incorporated into our identities else they will be incomplete.
Change therefore must be part of the basis for our identities and our spiritualities. I
agree that the phrase “I think therefore I am” ought to be changed. I suggest that
we change it to “I change therefore I am.” It’s obvious that if we can utter the word
“I” then we exist so the phrase reflects more on what it is we do that makes us exist
rather than existence alone. Think? Yes, of course. Change? Even more so than
thinking.

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it does it make a sound?
I think therefore I am - a double ‘I’ - does this mean that it takes reflection for us to
perceive that we exist? If so, are we real or are we merely in a hall of mirrors? If we
can utter the word “I” then we exist - who is doing the uttering?

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John from Halifax

Since (we all agree) the universe is infinite, Physicists will always be coming up with
new paradigms for the physical universe. As the centuries continue to pass Physics
and its applications will cause our world to change in ways we can not imagine now.
As our physical reality transforms so, too, will our social realities. Our religions
which are already a thousand years out of date will have to change, too, or be
replaced by new ones which better support and reflect the behaviors and needs of
people.

Change is the norm. Psychology which is our science of adjustment will encourage
us to develop internal schemata which give us mental and emotional platforms on
which acceptance and even the embracing of change may be fostered.

New philosophies will be invented of which the basic premises for the first time ever
will not be absurd because they will be based on the necessity of change rather than
stasis.

Gableplunk’s existential premise is change but will he be a man of the future who
embraces constant change or merely a man who adjusted once and thereafter
nevermore?

Aquarius is the water bearer who helps to satisfy our need to quench our thirst.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home